Saturday, July 28, 2007

MeMe - Because I Promised

Good buddy and fellow Misfit Heather Goodman tagged me (and the rest of the Misfits) with this meme and since I haven't done one in a while, I agreed (since I haven't had much to write about until after I agreed). So, without further anything, here's what the world's been waiting for--the answers to all those age-old meme questions:


1. What's the one book or writing project you haven't yet written but still hope to?

I want to write about my great grandmother. I remember sitting in Aunt Bessie's house and hearing the stories of what it was like growing up and what her parents were like. Much was in hushed tones and I don't think the adults thought I was listening. But that's where I learned what "pondering in your heart" meant. Someday I hope to put those ponderings in a book.

2. If you had one entire day in which to do nothing but read, what book would you start with?

There's way too many to choose--I'm a slow reader and want to read too many. Hmmmmmm. I think I would start with To Kill A Mockingbird simply because I'm finally old enough to really appreciate it now (yes, before you gasp, I've already read it once).

3. What was your first writing "instrument" (besides pen and paper)?
My mother's typewriter--big bulky thing in a black case. Not electric but fun to push the keys down and watch the letters form on the white paper above.


4. What's your best guess as to how many books you read in a month?

I'm not fast at this so maybe 3 (depending on whether I'm teaching or on Summer Break).


5. What's your favorite writing "machine" you've ever owned? My PC. I love it and feel comfortable at the keyboard. I can rush the words from my fingers or tap my nails on the keys waiting for my next idea. It is tempermental sometimes but I do love it.

6. Think historical fiction: what's your favorite time period in which to read? (And if you don't read historical fiction--shame on you.)

I have to agree with Heather. I enjoy Jane Austen and I love things from the Colonial Period. Civil War time is good reading and Oh! love to read about the Roaring Twenties. Turn of the 20th Century (give or take 20 years in either direction) is good. Ok, I confess, I just plain ol' love reading historicals.

7. What's the one book you remember most clearly from your youth (childhood or teens)?
I read all of the Janet Lambert books I could get my hands on. There were several in her series that I loved and I remember the plots even today but one of them hit me hard--she killed off a beloved character and I sat and cried. Her characters were ones I talked about with my friends as if they were a part of our crowd. They were so real (not in a psychotic way--get back with those white jackets). Wish I could remember the title. I collected a few over the years now but haven't found that one.

Not gonna tag anyone--everyone's been tagged!

So, th-th-th-that's all folks!

Abundant blessings!

3 comments:

CLM said...

I was also a huge Janet Lambert fan, beginning from the day my mother put Star Spangled Summer on my pillow when I was in 5th grade. It took years to gather the complete set (which I am very proud of) in hardcover, but Image Cascade has done a wonderful job reprinting the books the last few years in high quality trade paperback editions. I was not able to go to Crawfordsville, IN for the Lambert convention several years ago so did not have the pleasure of meeting JL's two daughters, unfortunately.

Jenny said...

Crawfordsville? I didn't know she was from Indiana! Well, that explains a lot. I remember talking to people, checking at the library etc. after my family moved out here and they'd just stare at me. "Janet who?" No one west of the Mississippi knew who I was talking about. I have four of her books (Just Jenifer, The Reluctant Heart, The Stars Hang High, and Love Taps Softly).
I am so jealous of your complete collection! I have that with Nancy Drew--matching covers and all. Took three years to complete and then my 15 month old daughter found one of her sib's Crayola markers and made lovely purple scribbles up and down all the yellow spines--a mere two weeks after the completion but a good year before Crayola released washable markers. Yeah, I let her live.

Heather said...

I'm on the Janet who? list.
I love old typewriters. I played on my grandmother's all the time writing "it was a dark and stormy night" stories.